Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Good afternoon, I want to travel to the USA... I have a criminal

Good afternoon, I want to travel to the USA... I have a criminal record and my last offence was 2004 and I am now 51 and so I think I can safely say my days of being a rebel are over! I went to the USA in 2002 to Memphis Tennessee where I stayed in Graceland, I had no problems going into America even though it was one year after Sept 11th bombing! I have been told that since the bombing they have stricter Laws and that I cannot go into America with a Criminal record...do I have to apply for a special visa or can I just go as before and I had no idea I couldn't go if I had a record...
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Can you tell me anything about the nature of the offence? You may still be able to travel to the USA, but may have to attend an interview at the US Embassy before they issue you with an ESTA. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, nothing to be proud of but I used to fight allot in my past and have about 6 Abh (girl fights :D) then most of my younger years I had a bit of a destructive streak of self and forged a check and the label they gave that offence was FRAUD! then I was in breach of bail and carried a tiny piece of cannabis and handed myself in all on purpose so I could go to prison! sounds terrible now that I had these traits but it was along time ago the last abh was unexpected even for me and that was in 2004 family nonsense I got caught up in... I want to go to visit a friend :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS I didn't go to prison and got 2 weeks on remand...
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. I cannot definitively answer because ultimately it is the decision of Customs and Border Protection in the USA, what I can say if that 7 years have passed since any offences so technically under English Law you are considered rehabilitated. The best thing to do is make the ESTA application and answer the questions as honestly as possible - you may be required to attend the US embassy for an interview. On the face of it and given the amount of time that has passed, these incidents should not alone be an automatic bar from travelling to the USA - however it is not recommended that you attempt to travel to the USA using the visa waiver program available as you could be committing an offence in the USA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** know where to apply for the ESTA application?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ - Hi - you can apply here. Can I assist any further? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one last thing if I apply and all goes through will they have to have his details and for him to learn about my past?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. No you wont have to give this individual your details and past. You will just apply for a tourist visa. Kind regards AJ