Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My tenants had a AST agreement, after which they stayed on

My tenants had a AST agreement, after which they stayed on on a periodic tenancy. Do I have to serve them notice to leave (such as S21 for AST tenants), or just give them notice by email? We have agreed that I need to give them a notice of 2 months. Thanks.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is there any reason you don't want to use a S21 notice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked, if I can use Section 21 notice as my tenants do not have an AST agreement, because their SDT agreement rolled over to a periodic agreement. I don't know if Section 21 notice can be used in this case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I need to know what kind of notice I have to give, as Section 21 Notice is meant to end an AST tenancy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I can do a phone call but it is nothing that we couldnt do online and a call will rack up the cost to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do NOT want to pay £38 for a telephone answer! You have NOT answered me online, just sending me a question. I want to know if S21 Notice can be used for a periodic tenancy, or if there is some kind of other notice I have to give my tenants.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is because I need the information I asked for.However, if you are displeased at this stage then I will opt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do need a correct response to my question, as I need to serve my tenants the notice today, as it is their rent day. (They pay monthly on the 6th of each month.) I need to know how I serve the notice now that they are periodic tenants. I have not found the answer online, and the Landlords helpline is closed at the RLA (landlords' association).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DO YOU MEAN THAT I HAVE JUST WASTED £38 AND YOU WILL NOT GIVE ME A REPLY. How do I make a formal complaint? Thanks.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Hopefully I can assist so that you can get all the information required to deal with your issue.As the tenant is now on a statutory periodic tenancy you will still need to give them notice as you would have done during the fixed-term - therefore a Section 21 notice and 2 months notice is the minimum requirement under the law.I hope this clarifies the position for you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks! ***** need to give the Section 21 notice on the day their rent is due? They pay the rent monthly, on the 6th of each month, hence the urgency with my query. (A strange starting time for the original tenancy, but so it sometimes happens, at least in London.)
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
You must give at least two months’ notice and the notice must end on the last day of a ‘period of the tenancy’.The last day of a period of the tenancy will be the day before the day the rent was supposed to be paid in the fixed-term contract. So as they paid rent today the notice must end on 5 July, as long as it is served today.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating.
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters