12826847

Please help, I am unsure what will happen. I have been sexting a girl

Please help, I am unsure what will happen. I have been sexting a girl under the age of 18, I have not send any nudes but have 'talked dirty', what will my sentence be, how long will I be on the register, and what happens when I come off it?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Have you been charged?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
For what have you been arrested?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not be arrested yet
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
How old is she?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
15, I am recently 18
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Did she tell you she was 15?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes she did
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
There is no way around that then.They could charge it as a grooming.They may just charge it under the telecommunications act. It depends what has been said exactly and whether there have been attempts to meet.If it is the latter then it would just be a fine or community order and it doesn't carry notification.If it is grooming then that would lead to ten years on the register but probably would be a community order. I cannot imagine the court would see a need for a SOPO.Since you are of a comparable age it might all turn into nothing.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There were plans to meet, but I called it off, what happens if I am put on the register then come off it, will I still find it hard to get a job? We role played a little but no nudes were send, only pictures of each other's legs and of her butt with shorts on, I did not realise that talking dirty was against the law, soon as I realised I stopped talking that way. Thank you so far, you are really helping me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
That is a grooming then.The only reason they might not charge you is that you are of a similar age. Being on the register doesnt have to be disclosed per se. It is the offence that will need to be disclosed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So I would have to tell the person who would interview me for a job that I was on the sex offenders registry? What job options are available to me? What sentence would I likely get if I was charged?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
No, as I said, it is not the register but the offence.If it is grooming then that would lead to ten years on the register but probably would be a community order. I cannot imagine the court would see a need for a SOPO.Job options are really too wide to cover. Anything that doesn't involve DBS checking.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So what would I have to tell them about the offence, I groomed someone? I'm unclear on this sorry. Would it be like a criminal record?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Yes, it would be a criminal offence.It would depend whether you are DBS checked. If so, it would be revealed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If the job was not dbs checked, I wold not have to tell them of my offence?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Well, if you are asked directly you should be truthful but if they do not DBS check then probably they will not ask.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you very much, you have been a great help!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would I go to prison for grooming as I have described, or would it just be the register?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
If it is grooming then that would lead to ten years on the register but probably would be a community order.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What does a community order consist of?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
It could be anything but custody. An other order.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there a difference if I am from England and she is from America, Idaho state?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
It does make it harder for them to prosecute. They would have to set up video links in the states or bring her to court which is very expensive to do. Sexual offences are the subject of huge wastes of public money at the money at the moment so that might happen but it is a factor that weighs against prosecution.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe that's it, thank you very much!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
No problem.All the best.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
One more sorry, weights against the prosecution, does that mean harder to prosecute?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Yes, practically harder to do.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But i would still be legally prosecuted, despite it being practically harder?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Well, you could.In my sensible times you would not but we are wasting huge amounts of money on sex offences.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
For being on the register, coming off of it and having to do a community order, what type of DBS check would the offence show up on? as you said it is a criminal offence still.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Sorry, I didn't mean to opt out.It would show for life on enhanced and on standard and for five to ten years on basic depending on the sentence.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think that is it, thank you very much
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All my questions have been answered
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
All the best.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They decided to drop the case, but thanks for the help! :)