12826847

Please help, I am unsure what will happen. I have been sexting a girl

Please help, I am unsure what will happen. I have been sexting a girl under the age of 18, I have not send any nudes but have 'talked dirty', what will my sentence be, how long will I be on the register, and what happens when I come off it?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Have you been charged?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
For what have you been arrested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not be arrested yet
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How old is she?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15, I am recently 18
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did she tell you she was 15?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she did
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
There is no way around that then.They could charge it as a grooming.They may just charge it under the telecommunications act. It depends what has been said exactly and whether there have been attempts to meet.If it is the latter then it would just be a fine or community order and it doesn't carry notification.If it is grooming then that would lead to ten years on the register but probably would be a community order. I cannot imagine the court would see a need for a SOPO.Since you are of a comparable age it might all turn into nothing.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were plans to meet, but I called it off, what happens if I am put on the register then come off it, will I still find it hard to get a job? We role played a little but no nudes were send, only pictures of each other's legs and of her butt with shorts on, I did not realise that talking dirty was against the law, soon as I realised I stopped talking that way. Thank you so far, you are really helping me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is a grooming then.The only reason they might not charge you is that you are of a similar age. Being on the register doesnt have to be disclosed per se. It is the offence that will need to be disclosed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I would have to tell the person who would interview me for a job that I was on the sex offenders registry? What job options are available to me? What sentence would I likely get if I was charged?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No, as I said, it is not the register but the offence.If it is grooming then that would lead to ten years on the register but probably would be a community order. I cannot imagine the court would see a need for a SOPO.Job options are really too wide to cover. Anything that doesn't involve DBS checking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what would I have to tell them about the offence, I groomed someone? I'm unclear on this sorry. Would it be like a criminal record?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it would be a criminal offence.It would depend whether you are DBS checked. If so, it would be revealed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the job was not dbs checked, I wold not have to tell them of my offence?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, if you are asked directly you should be truthful but if they do not DBS check then probably they will not ask.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, you have been a great help!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I go to prison for grooming as I have described, or would it just be the register?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If it is grooming then that would lead to ten years on the register but probably would be a community order.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does a community order consist of?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It could be anything but custody. An other order.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a difference if I am from England and she is from America, Idaho state?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It does make it harder for them to prosecute. They would have to set up video links in the states or bring her to court which is very expensive to do. Sexual offences are the subject of huge wastes of public money at the money at the moment so that might happen but it is a factor that weighs against prosecution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe that's it, thank you very much!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem.All the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more sorry, weights against the prosecution, does that mean harder to prosecute?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, practically harder to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But i would still be legally prosecuted, despite it being practically harder?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, you could.In my sensible times you would not but we are wasting huge amounts of money on sex offences.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For being on the register, coming off of it and having to do a community order, what type of DBS check would the offence show up on? as you said it is a criminal offence still.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I didn't mean to opt out.It would show for life on enhanced and on standard and for five to ten years on basic depending on the sentence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that is it, thank you very much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All my questions have been answered
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
All the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They decided to drop the case, but thanks for the help! :)