29905560

I have had a contract made up when I started in a Team of Instructors

I have had a contract made up when I started in a Team of Instructors ( I teach Zumba) that if I left the Team I couldn't work within a 12 mile radius of the town I taught in and any satellite classes that I taught.
I have left the team and I now do covers at a leisure centre that is 14 miles away and I have a regular class in the same town 14 miles away..
The lady that I worked for has said that in my contract it states that I can't work within 14 miles of any of the satellite classes that any of the team members work in, so the town I am working in is within that area.
I have not taken any of her clients and I haven't advertised the fact that I am in another town now. She said I should go to her home so she can't explain to me that I can't work anywhere now unless it's further out. I didn't want to go to her home because she will bully me and intimidate me as that is what she does.
I went to the CAB and they said try and sort it out with her. I emailed her saying what can we do to rectify, so I can work in the Town but she said I had to go and see her which I really do not want to do.
She said she is going to her solicitor and I will be hearing from them as I am in breach of contract, so at the moment I am waiting for the letter.
Could you advise me what to do? Should I go and see a solicitor now or wait for the letter?
Regards.
Susie Lee
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you have the contract I can take look at
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have the contract, I'll have to scan it thought and send it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are quite a few pages..
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You can upload it on here. Take your time thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the files.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for sending these through. At this stage you do not need to go and see a solicitor – you will just be paying fees for speculative advice. It is best to wait for the letter to come (if it does come) and deal with it then. Also a letter from a solicitor does not mean much – it is a reminder of your obligations but they cannot force you to adhere to these – only a court can do this. Of course there is no guarantee that she will go as far as court – she may threaten you and accuse you of breach of contract and contact solicitors and be a total nuisance, but none of these would legally stop you from doing what you are doing. The only way for her to do this is to make a claim in court and successfully show that the restrictions she had in place are reasonable and that you had breached them, then get an injunction to prevent you from doing what you are doing. She may never get that far. It is best if you let her be a nuisance over this and even contact a solicitor and you should only be concerned if she actually make a court claim – if it gets to that stage then it is best to reconsider your position – either top teaching within the restricted area or contact a solicitor to see if you should defend her claim. Until then – just see all she does as a threat, which carries no legal power to force you to do anything. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you