Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am a golf coach and I have had an email from a person

I am a golf coach and I have had an email from a person asking for a refund on a package of lessons they bought last year, they simply don't want to take them.
Do I need to give a refund?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. When they purchased the package of lessons did you state they were "non-refundable"? Did they pay in cash or by credit card? Did you offer a discount to buy in a package? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no refund statement.I have not checked how they paid, they have just asked me to send a cheque to them. It is genuine as the address is next to the golf academy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they would have got a discount for bulk buying lessons
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. No they are not entitled to a refund if they purchased the service in advance, and especially as they received a discount. In future, I would note it is easier though to defend this position if you have a set of terms and conditions saying that the service is non refundable. Normally a right to a refund only applies if the customer has exercised their right of cooling off or there is some execeptional circumstance that might justify - the only argument the customer might have (if they chose to sue you which is rightly or wrongly their prerogative) was that you did not tell them the package was not refundable - give the amount of time that has passed I doubt a court would support this. Is this likely to cause a issue with the golf academy? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is my golf academy and company so no.Are there any written laws to say they are not entitled to a refund?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. No there is no written law, it is a contractual law matter (this is common law not statute based law). You entered into a contract for the provision of golf lessons, they paid for a discounted package of golf lessons (not a deposit which would be refundable), you are now obligated to provide those lessons. There is no general right to terminate a contract just because someone changes their mind - this individual has consumer rights (such as the Cooling Off Period) but they are not applicable after a year. You can say to them, they purchased something from you, this legally counts as a contract, you are happy to fulfill your side of the contract, but you are not obligated to provide them with a refund as they have no right to terminate the contract. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/cancelling-a-service-youve-arranged/ this is a good explanation of their consumer rights and what they can expect. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that all seems very clear.Very helpful !
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. ***** can assist any further please let me know. In the mean time I would be most grateful if you could rate my answer? Kind regards AJ