ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

My sister left her husband 2years ago after37 years after his

Customer Question

My sister left her husband 2years ago after37 years after his violence resulted in her suffering a mental breakdown. He has since died 6months ago. Their house was owned jointly but in his will made when he was dying he has left his half of the house to their adult children. My sister will not have enough money now to buy herself another property, her children have said they are only interested in their half for the money. Can my sister contest this and win her case ? It went to probate at end of February.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you. Please may I ask: - did they actually divorce?- do you know if they owned the house at joint tenants or tenants in common?- if as joint tenants - did the husband serve your sister with a notice to sever the joint tenancy? If you are not sure if they are joint tenants or tenants in common - let me know and if the house is registered with the Land Registry - I can guide you through downloading those documents and give you an indication as to the likelihood of what they were. Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they did own the house and a notice to sever was served.
Hello Thank you for your response. Did they divorce?Did he have any other assets?Did he make any provision for your sister at all? Kind Regards Caroline