Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I submitted an idea interactive system that would save

I submitted an idea for a interactive system that would save millions for my multinational employer only to be told it was rejected after almost 4 years of trying (which I have a paper trail for ) as the system it was based on ,they said was to be closed in the near future ,that was back in April 2014.
You can therefore imagine my surprise when the system they said was closing never did and isn't going to and that my idea for a interactive stand along system with all it's benefits has been launched to around 36 thousand engineers as the best thing ever , I have emails and can prove from information available on the web that the team that" developed "my idea started the month after I was told it was rejected for reasons that can now be easily provan to have been inaccurate to say the least
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your question and welcome my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Did you work on the system as part of your job and during your working hours? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did it in my free time, it was not part of my job and I was not in a staff position, it was idea that I evolved complete independent of my employment duties as a manual worker
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. Did you actually develop the interactive system and write the code for it? Or did you draw up any plans on the idea? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't write the code but I did fully plan how the system would operate and function, I identified the benefits, the cost savings and presented it to the senior management team as a PowerPoint presentation and then submitted it into the company in questions "big idea " site twice and had positive feedback back which I have kept records of.
This was something that I did of my own back and had no input for the company before presenting my proposal and their system is exactly the same with all the same described functions
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. The problem you have here is there is no legal protection in an idea, you have to have an expression of the idea. You wrote the idea down in detailed paper work and therefore will have copyright over that, can you prove the code that they wrote for this system was directly derived from your idea? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can prove a time frame through emails that shows that they started work on the system after my submissions and I can prove that all the same functionality of the systems are the same , I am a mechanical engineer with no experience of code writing i was developing the functionality of the system and then I ask the company for assistance with the code side of the project . All this information is all so on the company's internal system as well and the reason they gave for not perusing my proposal has turned out to be false and in fact work began on it the very next month. My proposal went to director level of the business and was commented on at that level.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. Have the copied parts directly from the report that you wrote? If so you can then prove breach of copyright? and therefore would have a cause of action to sue them. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have copied all the emails between myself and my friend at work who helped me develop the proposal showing how the idea developed, I also have copies of the emails sent to senior management outlining the proposal and asking for assistance and getting a good response which I have also kept I also have recorded to reponces that where give through the company's internal system included all names dates and times and at no time do they mention that they where working on a similar project which is one of things that submitting my proposal to the internal company ideas web site would have thrown up right away and stop my idea in its tracks.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. Have they actually copied word for word (or near enough) the content of the material you provided?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have copied the functionality of the system I described exactly as proposed, it was presented as a PowerPoint presentation along with accompanying descriptions of the assistance I need to fully bring the idea to fruition, I did not have the level of expertise or financing to actively peruse it own my own and when they said they where closing the system it was based on then I never took it further myself based on the information given to me by senior management or I would have sought out financing and assistance as I new it was a system/tool that was definitely going to be of value and now the company is using it as a major part of their engineering strategy
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you - potentially the functionality may be subject to copyright but the money and time spent developing the code and the product as a working service will not be subject to protection. You could sue for the time and effort you spent creating the service - but as a starting point what would you be seeking to earn from this? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea submitted through the work company idea scheme can be rewarded up to £250000 . This system that I am claiming is completely my own idea is now being touted by the company as a major development and I believe the company have been deceitful in their actions and I will be suing them for millions as I could have persuade my plans fulfilment had I not be deliberately mislead. You should not underestimate the importance of this particular system to the company's future plans and intend to resign from my post and persuse this matter relentlessly
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. I understand your frustration, but ultimately you cannot protect or have any legal right to idea alone - it is the expression of that idea, i.e it is written down or written code that you take legal ownership in. What you need to prove is they have directly copied your documents not the material in the documents. Are you still employed by this company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am at present ..The PowerPoint presentation was very detailed defining the functionality of each command what then lead to and the final outcome on a methodical manner and gave clear reasons for each part .
The presentation clearly stated the benefits to the business and now I hear it being sold back to me as I discribed. I know for certain that managers that weren't supplied the presentation had it on their laptops as I witnessed this with my own eyes, also the company in question has a very detailed online accounting and all this information regarding my application are still on line with comments from the director level and I have emails where directors have acknowledged receiving the presentation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am resigning for the company, but to start my own business not because of this, if I do anything before resigning my work life would be made hell, so once I leave I'm going to go cause a very big fuss, it's not the money it's that they are a nasty company and people should be aware of their deceitful ways and add to the mounting criticism of the company in question,
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. Have you appealed to this process where by you could be paid £250k? Is it possible someone has implement this without realising you are the creator of the idea? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the system is mobile phone app and my detailed presentation explained the lateral thinking to each stage of the app
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one could have as the online company idea website immediately looks for that right way automatically on application and I had persued this from November 2010 till April 2013 where was contacted from director level and told the system was being closed in the near future and no other reason for not persusing my idea was ever give , I applied twice to this process and as I said even on April 2013 1 month before company stated that they started work on their copy, never was any similar mentioned although I have records of when they tried to fob me off saying another system was being developed but that like the system is being closed excuse turn out to be another smokescreen. I have copy's of all the emails to back all of my claims up and anyone who compairs the two systems side by side have no problem seeing the almost exactly likeness
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. The situation really has two resolutions (i) You remain in your employment and pursue the matter internally - this involve raising a complaint through your employment procedure or (ii) You sue the company for copyright infringement - in order to do this you would need some evidence the system has copied material you provided. Do you have an employment grievance procedure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The company has a grievance procedure
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you. It is worth exploring this especially as a much cheaper alternative to litigation. Suing for copyright infringement is a highly complex matter and likely to take many month. Your complaint is over remuneration you have not actually received and there is a process for complaining to your employer - also you could potentially resolve this by using your leverage and saying that you have other ideas to add to this system (bearing in mind you are its creator). If you want to remain in the role and are happy with their remuneration on offer then a grievance has to be the way forward - you can always sue them at a later date if the out come is unsatisfactory?
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE