13262538

My mum sold her house this month and my mum is being charged

Customer Question

My mum sold her house this month and my mum is being charged a surcharge as well as solicitor and estate agent fees. What is surcharge for. my mums house sold for �80-000. I had EPC done twice, but do not know what surcharge of �2400.00 is for.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion firstWhich part of the Uk are you inWhat type of property is it and how is the sum described on the Bill as being payable to?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Solicitor J. S. Law at Leicester said my 101 year old mother , who is in a carehome, in Nantwich, Estate Agent SPRINGBOK. Solicitor said on the phone, as my mums house sold herein Crewe, that buyer will pay Indemnity fee of £156 as long as my mum pays the surcharge, which adds up to another £2400 on top of estate and solicitors fee. So all together out of £80-000, my mum is having to pay over six thousand CLARE, which is why I want to know, what is £2400 for surcharge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it is fair that my mum is being charged this extra £2400, but it seems it has to be deducted out of house sale money, on completion date April 12th, next week.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my mums house is a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom terraced house. It had a bathroom built on , as my mum is disabled, so council built a downstairs beautiful bathroom 17 years ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know why Solicitor is adding £2400, told by solicitor , my mum has to pay this, as it's a surcharge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Buyer coming today for keys and deeds at 1pm, to my mums house, as my had to agree to pay this fee £2400
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mum agreed to pay the £2400 for the buyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still want to know what a surcharge is for? Will check your reply teatime, as I have to take house keys and wait in my mums house for buyer to collect keys and Deeds.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
This is Stamp Duty Surcharge as one of the buyers has another property.What I do not understand is on what basis it was agreed that your mother would pay it - what did the Estate Agents say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Solicitor said buyer would not buy the house, if my mum didn't pay surcharge, so my mum agreed , as my mum needs the money to pay for carehome, The carehome charge is going up soon to £3, 800 every 4 weeks. My mum hadn't got enough savings to pay for carehome. My mum was subsidised by council for 8 months, but told to sell her house to fund for her care.
All sorted now, today as solicitor phoned the carehome and spoke to my mum, saying buyer collecting keys to the house tonight and house sale money going into my mums building society account on monday 11th april. Thank you for your help Clare. So stamp duty surcharge is what I wanted to know.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome - but I have to say I think the buyers took advantage since they would have had the same problem with any house they purchased
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clare they wanted my mums house cheaper but we refused the buyer. He wanted it for five thousand less, but accepted the asking price. Been to collect keys 8pm from me, Solicitor putting the money in my mums building society account monday.
I went the carehome and told my mum. She is ok with everything. So now I can relax.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Then that is what is needed - neither of you need the stress