Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I'm hoping that you can help with my question relating to stamp

Customer Question

I'm hoping that you can help with my question relating to stamp duty.
I own a buy to let flat on my own. I live in my boyfriend's house that he owns on his own. I have lived in his house since he bought it and have proof of this. We consider this to be my main and only residence.
My boyfriend is selling is house and we are buying one together.
Will we need to pay the higher stamp duty?
Our solicitor is completely uninformed and we keep getting conflicting information when we call HMRC.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. If you are to be named on the title of the new property then you will be liable for the higher rate stamp duty as you already own a different property.This is because the property you are in now will not be considered your main residence for stamp duty purposes as you do not own it - only your partner does. Therefore, at the end of the transaction you will have two properties and the new property is not replacing a main residence.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.