75100385

I live in a council block on the sixth floor. I've been trying

I live in a council block on the sixth floor. I've been trying to move for years as we are hugely overcrowded. One son has been scarred for life when the neighbour's dog bit him. Another six year old was bullied so badly he tried to jump out the window. We have four kids in one bedroom. Then my washing machine flooded *(it was sabotaged and i have proof of this). I have already paid over £2000 of my own money to the neighbours below, now the council say i have to pay for plastering. Who is liable, and can I use the fact that they did not help when they knew my son was suicidal, that i was being harrased and was overcrowded and still did not move us as ev idence that they neglected to protect us?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told an answer within a day, and pay a deposit, if you are happy with the answer then pay the full amount. It's zero for two so far, no answer and been charged the full amount!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. On what basis are they claiming you owe money please? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The neighbours are below. My washing machine flooded causing damage to the property below. My insurance said my content insurance only covered my flat and not theirs and that they should claim on their insurance. They said they didn't have insurance and they had small kids, so I gave them some money (£2000) in all. The council is refusing to do any repairs saying its my fault, and that I am liable for any damage. The washing machine en gineer told us that someone had opened the top of the washing machine and swapped the cabling about, it most certainly was not me. As you can see, we've suffered alot of harrassment while we have been in this property, so I believe it's connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave several neighbours money totalling £2300
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Who owns the buildings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The council
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Hasn't the council claimed on their insurance ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say its my fault, I was at work when it happened. However,nobody had noticed the washing machine was on, I had left the house at 8.15 the flood was reported about midday, and when my son got there at 3pm the washing machine was still turning. Given that an average cycle is two hours this is quite shocking. When I got back at four there was very little water on the floor though.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
But you hasn't done it on purpose?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hadn't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No definitely not! As I said I had left at 8.15 the washing machine wasn't going round then, my son left at 8.50 and didn 't notice it being on. When I heard there was a flood I thought someone had left a tap on!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it the council who is liable then please?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Then you don't need to pay. Actually you didn't need to pay the tenant, if they didn't have insurance that's not your fault. But for the plastering etc, unless you were negligent then you don't have to pay, that is the whole purpose of insurance!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you very much! Could they say I was negligent because I was not at home? I got someone around within an hour of finding out there was a flood.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
They would have to prove you were negligent. It's not your fault, accidents happen. Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Alex, you've been very helpful. Many thanks!
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Great, if I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site doesn't credit me for the time spent with you. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Alex