12826847

In February 2016, I had been living with my boyfriend

In February 2016, I had been living with my boyfriend for 6 months and found tenants to rent my property to. My boyfriend was managing the rental deal. I left him, went to stay with my parents and asked him not to go through with the let. He did. Now two months on, he wants my 10 year old daughter and I out. All the money from renting my house has gone to him thus far to pay for running the property we currently live in. The tenants in my house have a six month contract. He has given me 7 days to get out. Given all my furniture and possessions have been moved into his property as he let mine out unfurnished, this is unreasonable. I assume as we have no legal contract between us, I have no legal standing in this matter.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He has now informed me he is changing the locks on Friday. Also he has hit my child twice in a temper. Once with a computer cable and once when she was play fighting with him. Although I accept this may not be relevant to my legal standing in terms of being able to stay in huge property until the 6 month tenancy is up
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Have you paid rent?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am renting my house out at £693 PCM which is going straight to him even though his five bedroomed property has no mortgage. He also has the tenant's deposit.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also pay the gas and electricity bill so this more than covers the running of his house. Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Yes, but have you paid rent to him for your occupation of this house?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Apologies. The £693 is and my paying the gas and electricity acts as rent. I get no financial gain from renting my old house out. it's more of a "gentleman's agreement" as I didn't expect him to be so unreasonable. He is making a good £400 profit after paying his other bills so he effectively living for free.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Well, of course, you are occupying as well.I presume this isn't his child?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. He is divorced and has three children. 17 year old lives with her mother. 18 year old at Uni and 20 year old has moved out. My child isn't his.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Well, you have at least made rent payments. That will mean he cannot just evict you without any notice. However, you are basically just a lodger and it is easy to evict you. In the end he can just change the locks but he needs to give you proper written notice of no less than 28 days. He hasn't done that.That said, if he did change the locks it wouldn't be worth an injunction to get back in.You would have a claim against him for any over paid rent.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
Arguably you could change the locks again and sue him for the cost but since it would only be a couple of weeks I wouldn't recommend it. It would not be cost effective.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you but what about retrieving all my furniture and possessions?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes please. How if he did change the locks, I could retrieve my furniture and possessions
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
If he refused to let you in to do that then you could seek either compensation for the value at the small claims court or an injunction for the items to be returned.He has no right to withold your property.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Fabulous thanks.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
No problem.All the best.Please remember to rate my answer.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Excellent. You have bought me 28 days - phew
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.
No problem.