ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

Have lived in my house years and have no mortgage,

Have lived in my house for 30 years and have no mortgage, don't have title deeds. Our solicitor holds the deeds and is refusing to release them as he says we owe them money. I don't think we do, now I am worried we have a problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The amount in question was around £800. He regularly threatened us that he would refuse to ever release the deeds, and as we get towards retirement age we are worried that he will try to cause us a problem if we try to leave our house to our children.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcome to Just AnswerI am a Solicitor and will assist you.Please may I ask:- has the solicitor done any work for you?
- have you been sent a bill?Kind RegardsCaroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was the person that did the original conveyancing work in 1986, but that was settled. He then claimed further fees, but no invoice was ever issued, there was no contract. However he repeatedly called the house saying "I still hold the deeds to your house". I have downloaded the title deeds from the Land Registry, and there is no charge against the house from anyone
HelloPlease accept my sincere apologies for responding to you. I was having technical issues with my computer.I am very sorry to hear how you are being treated - what you have described appears totally unacceptable behaviour from a Solicitor.The first thing you need to do is put an official complaint in writing to the law firm.You need to detail that you have not been sent an invoice and you dispute that any monies are owed. You should also request the immediate return of your deeds.If the situation is not resolved to your satisfaction within 8 weeks then you should contact the legal ombudsman and bring your complaint to their attention.The legal ombudsman can investigate matters for you once you have given the law firm 8 weeks.You can contact the legal ombudsman on:0300(###) ###-####
All Solicitors have to act with honesty and integrity and therefore I also suggest that you report what has happened to the Solicitors Regulation Authority whom can be contacted on:0370(###) ###-####
In real terms - if there is a debt owed from over 6 years ago and a Judgment was not obtained - the solicitors are statute barred from pursuing the debt.
Please do not hesitate to ask if I can help you further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it- thank you!
Kind RegardsCarolinePlease kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Just to add to the above - since the property is Registered Land you do not need any of the documents that he is holding in any event