75100385

We have recently had some building work done on our house.

Customer Question

We have recently had some building work done on our house. We employed a company whom, I shall refer to as “L”, who subcontracted the work to a building team, whom I shall refer to as “M”.
Thankfully the majority of the work is complete and of a good standard. Part way through the building work our contact at L, suddenly left the company and since then there have been a number of problems. Communication has been appalling. We no longer had a project manager, thankfully the site manager from M was able to do most of this satisfactorily.
M, however, was experiencing more and more delays in being paid by L, even though we had submitted payment to L, on all invoices, in a timely manner.
There are still a few outstanding items and snagging to clear up, but M is not willing to return until payment has been received from L for an invoice that we paid in December. L says that this invoice has been paid. M may take L to the small claims court to get this money. That however is not our problem, we wish to complete all outstanding work on our property and would be happy to employ M directly to do this. M would be happy with this arrangement.
Is it possible for us to legally terminate our contract with L? Several of the points in our contract have not been upheld by L. In particular; the building team have not been on site regularly and the work was not finished within 22 weeks of the start date, 20th July. If we terminate our contract with L we do not believe and certainly do not wish to pay the outstanding money for “snagging” and the “three-month retention” to L, as we would be paying this money to M directly. What would our position be on this?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Do you have a written contract with L please? If so what does it say about termination and payment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
***********
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Calling now. Alex