12826847

My husband is due to go before a Crown Court on historical

My husband is due to go before a Crown Court on historical sexual offences. He intends pleading not guilty, and his defence is likely to cost a lot. Will my savings and property be considered if he does not get legal aid. We are joint owners of our smallholding and I own a property from my parents.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but I'm afraid it will. If you are married then your assets will be considered.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They will sometimes exclude the assets of unmarried partners but that is not your position sadly.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The property in your sole name might be excluded but the smallholding will be considered.I am sorry as I know this is unfair in particular because the anonymous accusers will get to escape scott free.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son lives in the other property, paying rent. I do not want him to loose his home
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I understand.They won't take the property. They will just ask you to pay a contribution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. All the best. Please remember to rate my answer.