12826847

What should I do if I discover that payments made by a third

What should I do if I discover that payments made by a third party to clear my credit card may turn out to be fraudulent payments? Can I be arrested or charged with anything although I had no idea?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain the fraud a little more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone I trusted told me they had made arrangements with their bank to pay my credit card bills as I had helped them out financially. The payments to clear the card were made in January and February however the credit card company have over the last few weeks received requests to reverse these payments off my card stating they were fraudulent payments. I can't find out any more information but I'm very worried that if these payments do turn out to be fraudulent could I be charged with accepting them in the first place even though I had no reason to think they weren't legitimate.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Do this payments link bank to a physical person? Or is it going to be credit card fraud ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They link back to a physical person as far as I know. If what they told me is true this persons main bank account is in America but the USA bank use an affiliate bank in the uk to make the payments
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If it is accepted that you were not the person making the payments and that you had no idea then there is no risk to you. If, however, it might look as though you were the person making payments using a third party account then you would be at risk if, indeed, the third party payments are fraudulent. If this person is willing to go to the police station and make a confession in the event of your arrest then you should have nothing to worry about. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had no access to this persons bank account so there is no way I could have arranged the payments and I have no idea which affiliate bank they came from. From what you are saying I am at risk of being arrested if these payments turn out to be fraudulent is that right?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Well, I think that if the payments are fraudulent they will probably think you were responsible for it. Unless the person in question puts his hands up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help you have confirmed what I thought
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and all the best. Please remember to rate my answer. Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jomo1972’.