13262538

An individual died in UK without a will. Law firm in UK contacted

Customer Question

An individual died in UK without a will. Law firm in UK contacted me so I could apply for estate monies.
What steps to follow ? I am a Canadian citizen.
Estate taxes and other costs will likely result in what monetary benefit to me?? Likely
none. Lawyer in UK and myself would split proceeds from this deal.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
HelloWelcome to Just AnswerI am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.Please may I ask:- are you the only beneficiary?
- do you know how much the estate is worth ?Kind RegardsCaroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Individual died in UK:no will: all beneficiaries are dead. The deceased individual shares the same surname as myself and was
born in the same city in 1937. UK lawyer proposes agreement where we share proceeds of estate monies.
I share some doubts about this deal. The expenses are paramount:inheritance tax of 30% as well as any other legal costs etc.
The net monetary benefit to me is unknown at this time. Please give an estimate of the costs involved:legal and other.,if possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a Canadian citizen who would want to bring proceeds to Canada if possible.
HelloThank you for your response.The probate, will have to be in the UK if the deceased was a UK citizen.In respect of the contact you have had from the English Law firm - have they indicated why they consider you are related? A surname and town doesn't give rise to an automatic claim.Kind RegardsCaroline
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiMy nam eis ClareI can tell you that in fact you are the potential victim of a scam that is called an "Advance fee fraud"You will be encouraged to pay money for none existent fees that are holding up payments of a larger sum.You can read more herehttp://www.actionfraud.police.uk/node/89In fact where there is an Intestacy in the UK then only a proven family member can obtain what is called "Letters of Administration"of an Estate (using a solicitor if they wish)If no such family member exists then eventually the estate reverts to the CrownThere are professional "heir hunters" who work hard to identify the remoter family members of those who have left large estates - but they would have identified the ACTUAL relationship, asked you to sign a contract and then dealt with all matters for you before sending you your money.You can read more herehttp://www.heirhunters.org.uk/Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.