F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I wonder if you can help me with one question. I'm planning

Hi, I wonder if you can help me with one question. I'm planning to apply for a indefinite leave to remain in UK, but I have doubts what to put in one section - there is the question of criminal activity - I don't have any, but more than a six year ago I've been sentenced for 6 months driving ban, for totting up points on my license. I've checked - this type of an offence is spend after 6 years, as far as I remember. But I am not sure if I have to still state it in the application and what impact it will have on the decision.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The totting up points were for two cases of driving without L plates on a provisional driving licence. Both finished with a penalty sentence from a court, the second one led to a six-month driving ban. As I wrote: this was the end of 2010. Since then I never had any more problems.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
I don’t know why but these questions on the application form are often quite vague. I think it is intentional either to trip you up or to try to get you to give as much information as possible. If in doubt, disclose the information.These are unlikely to make any difference firstly because they are relatively minor motoring offences and secondly because they are so long ago.The fact remains that they exist and therefore you are always better to disclose them rather than not disclose them and have them reappear. That really could affect your chances if they became revealed at a later stage and you had said that there were none.Can I clarify anything for you?Please do not forget to rate the service positive.Best wishesFES