Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have been volunteering at a local swimming club

I have been volunteering at a local swimming club for several years. Just before Christmas I proposed and chaired a teachers meeting in order to discuss ways of supporting newer and younger volunteers. Within the last few weeks I have been Verbally and emotionally abused for no apparent reason. Is there anything that I can do to prevent this from happening again and to stop me from getting upset?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Who has verbally and emotionally abused you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A senior teacher at the club
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
What have they said or done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has made derogatory comments about suggestions that I am suggesting. He has made negative comments about myself. He has said things that are almost true about you, but leave you wanting to defend myself. He engages with me in long conversations about things on which we disagree on until you reach the point of wanting to say, "Okay. Whatever. You're right!"
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
have you got any form of volunteers agreement or is it on an informal basis?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi would you still like help with this? It does not matter if there was no volunteers agreement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have any volunteers agreement
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
have you raised any complaint about this at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I raised it after the first time it happened the teacher was spoken to but the teacher didn't again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have predicted text. It's meant to say the teacher did do it again
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Who did you complain to ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The club secretary and the club chairman
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok all I can suggest you do is raise a further complaint to the same people to say that this is continuing and you consider it amounts to bullying and that it affects your health and safety. As you are a volunteer rather than an employee you have less rights, however they should not allow an employee to treat you badly and put you at risk. I do hope they will take your complaint seriously as you should not be being treated badly if you are giving up your free time to help them. If you have any further specific questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would kindly take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for the time I have spent answering your question, thank you and all the best.