75100385

I am renting a property but the landlord prefers not to have

I am renting a property but the landlord prefers not to have a contract between us saying a contract will give me a way out of the tenancy. I have not been too bothered about this until recently when asked for a rent increase and finding the landlord turning up at the property unannounced, whenever he chooses.
I would have thought that by not having a contract I could leave at any time. Is this correct?
What rights do I have as a tenant without a contract?
Having been there for 7 years am I now a sitting tenant?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.When did you start the tenancy and is it an assured shorthold tenancy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started the tenancy in January 2009, no contract was ever produced.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Has your deposit been protected? I assume you rent the whole house, ie he is not a live in landlord?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, my deposit was not protected, yes I rent the whole house £1000/month, no he is not a live in landlord.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
You are a periodic tenant which means that you get a monthly rolling contract, your Landlord can usually ask you to leave by giving 2 months notice.However as the deposit is not protected then the Landlord can not take ANY step to give you notice whilst its not protected.Indeed you can sue the Landlord for x3 the amount of the deposit.The Landlord can't just turn up. You can end the agreement if you wish and the Landlord can't hold you to anything.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Alex, just the question about whether this is now efffectively a sitting tenancy?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is.Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent news!
Thankyou for all you help Alex, yes, all clear now.
James
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.