75100385

Alex I have a query regarding invoicing. Last year, I had a limited design company wi

Hi Alex
I have a query regarding invoicing.
Last year, I had a limited design company with a partner. My partner and I had a disagreement so we decided to liquidate and part ways. I set up a freelance ltd company as we were closing.
At the time, one of my clients was due a website hosting invoice.
The supplier knew about the impending closure so wasn't willing to raise an invoice to the old company. He asked me to accept it to my new freelance business, which I did.
I invoiced the client and they said they were not willing to pay it as they had no "contract" with me.
The website hosting service has never been on a contract and just renewed annually.
One point is that the company was bought out, and the new owners used the hosting service for 4 months and then closed the website down. So they kinda used me while they were going through the purchase.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old owners can confirm the hosting was never renewed under contract,but they have been advised not to get involved in case they become liable to the company that bought them out.I did make a mistake by not informing the new owners that the hosting invoice would come from a new company name, however they were fully aware that they were about to receive a hosting invoice. I informed them at least 2 months before it was due.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for asking for me.What is it you would like to know about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know if I can pursue the new owners for the invoice amount? OR if it is unrecoverable because I didn't inform them in advance that the invoice would come from a different company?I didn't want to do this in advance because we had several outstanding invoices with them from my old ltd company, and if they knew we were liquidating , it may have jeopardised the payment of these.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Sadly I think you have to write it off. If the they had no contract with the new company then there is no way you can bill it. There would need to be some agreement or contract in place with the new company. If not, they can argue that they have no right to pay it.I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One query actually. There was never a contract in place for website hosting. It was an annual necessity.
So there is a history of payment of hosting invoices without a contract, but from the liquidated company.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thats the problem, it needs to be the new co in order to invoice.I am sorryAlex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. That's gutting but I'll just have to suck it up.
Thanks for your advice.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry its not better news. Good luck. Alex