29905560

My van was broken into and tools stolen I informed my insurance

My van was broken into and tools stolen I informed my insurance company but the claim form was impossible for me to fill in because at the time my receipts were with my accountant for processing my tax return. So I paid out for new security locks and replaced the tools at my own expense now I find that my insurance is to be loaded because of my Claim is this right
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What do you mean it will be loaded?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben
My new insurance company needed proof of my no claims but when it was provided they mentioned the unpaid claim/report
and the new company increased my premium by £209.00 the policy that was to have covered my tools was an add on to the van policy
supplied by the broker not the same company that issued the vehicle policy
regards Chris
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Whilst I completely understand how you may feel aggrieved by this, unfortunately it is possible in the insurance industry and it is actually legal. Insurers can log any information about you whilst you were insured by them and that includes details about potential claims, even if no claim is ever made. In turn, this could be used by future insurers to estimate your premium and sadly it does mean that it can increase it, even if you never made the claim. I would point you to the following article which summarises your position rather nicely and will provide more detail about this than I can out on here: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/sep/30/insurance-query-higher-premiums I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you