Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I am responsible boundary between myself and my neighbour,

I am responsible for the boundary between myself and my neighbour, which is defined by hedging and fencing. My neighbour removed part of the hedging without consulting me, reducing my privacy and allowing them to peer directly into my garden. Therefore I arranged for standard 2m high fencing to be installed to replace the now "bare" hedging.
The neighbour complained, saying we needed her permission to do this.
Is she correct?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. You don't need your neighbour's permission to erect a fence between your property and her property. At any time, you can erect a fence should you wish. Additionally, this fence can be of any type of permanent material. There is no requirement that your neighbour can see through your fence into your property. So long as the fence is along the boundary or on your side of the boundary line, you can erect a fence should you wish. So, just as your neighbour can remove a dividing fence, you can erect one on your side of the boundary should you wish. If you require any further clarification, I will be happy to help further. There is no requirement that a fence be jointly erected if it is along the boundary.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the Answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.