12826847

A few years ago I was given a pen as a gift by a company I

Customer Question

A few years ago I was given a pen as a gift by a company I used to do business with. I carry it in the inside pocket of my sports jacket and I use it for its intended purpose. It is a fairly robust metal, biro-type pen. A friend recently warned me that I could be charged with possessing an offensive weapon. Is that true?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
No.A pen is not offensive per se.Unless you have adapted it for the purposes of offence this is just plain not an offensive weapon.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Any item can be used to cause injury but that doesn't render it an offensive weapon.There is caselaw concerning immediate use of a lawful item and it says that doesn't render it an offensive weapon or a blanded article.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo