Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I need advice on behalf of my brother. He recently divorced

Hi, I need advice on behalf of my brother. He recently divorced his wife, and throughout the process, she has tried to intimidate and blackmail him. She also brought false claims of child abuse against him (the police have now closed the case due to lack of evidence) and maliciously spread rumors that he is a child abuser throughout the local community, seriously affecting his mental wellbeing and potential future earnings as a self-employed tradesman. We have letters (via her solicitor) threatening to raise this serious criminal activity to the judge if he didn't drop his request for divorce costs to be paid, and numerous SMS messages from her threatening to ruin his life and to take him for everything.
My brothers reputation and mental health is in tatters, and I am interested to know if there is any criminal/legal action we can take against her. I would like her to be charged with blackmail/defamation, slander. Do you think there is a case for this?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. If they are undergoing divorce and financial proceedings a defamation suit will be vastly more expensive than the current proceedings and likely to cause more tension between them. What I would suggest is for a formal warning letter to be written to her/her solicitors to cease the current harassment and threats as they are unfounded. In the event that she does not stop then he can consider applying for a non-molestation order (injunction) against her.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I see that you have provided a negative rating. Please confirm what you are not happy about so that I can provide you all the necessary information you require.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You clearly didn't read my message correctly.
The first sentence reads " need advice on behalf of my brother. He recently divorced his wife...",
to which you responded "If they are undergoing divorce and financial proceedings...".
GHe has been awarded his decree nisi, and they are having some difficulties coming to financial settlement. She has brought a false police claim against him, for financial gain and intimidation. Now it's all finished, I want to know what action can be taken against her. There is NO justice in her making these accusations and getting away with it, while my brother is too fearful to walk the streets of his home-town and may never work again as a self-employed tradesman.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for misreading your message. My initial information will still stand and he can pursue a defamation suit against her, but this will be very expensive. He can consider applying to court for a non-molestation order (which is an injunction) to prevent any further harassment.