Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am the guarantor ex partners mortgage and have paid

i am the guarantor for my ex partners mortgage and have paid the mortgage for the last 13 years (we have been separated for 12) She is planning to let the property, does she need my consent as surely this would affect the insurance on the property. I am also concerned that she may have borrowed or changed the terms of the mortgage without my knowledge. Does the lender have any responsibility to inform me of any changes.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Firstly, it is unlikely that the terms of a residential mortgage will allow your ex-partner to rent the property out and the mortgage provider will first need to be consulted and they will likely offer to change her over to a buy-to-let mortgage. Therefore she will initially need the mortgage company's consent who in turn will likely inform you of this change.You will need to check the guarantor contract you signed, but it is also likely that there is a term to keep you informed of any change to the mortgage. If there is not I would suggest you contact the mortgage company to request disclosure of these details.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you