12826847

In 2012, while I was in UK, I was arrested by the London

Customer Question

Hello. In 2012, while I was in UK, I was arrested by the London Met Police for assault. My DNA swabs and fingerprints were recorded. I was released on bail within 24 hours and my return to bail date was set after a month or so. I sought the permission of the police office and returned to my home country (I am not a UK national), with the promise that I will return to the UK when asked to do so.
From my home country, I kept in regular touch with the police and my government appointed solicitor. My return to bail date kept getting extended. One day I received an email from the police "Are you in the United Kingdom?". I immediately called up my solicitor who asked me to ignore it. After a month the solicitor sent me a letter stating that the since they have not received any response from the police, they are closing my case. Post that I have not received any communication, either from the police or the solicitors.
Now I am well established in my profession and want to apply for a schengen visa. My queries are:
1) How do I know what is the status of my case? I suspect it is probably "No further action", but I want to be sure.
2) If I call up the police station and ask for my case status, I am worried that they might start pursuing my hiterto dormant case and seek my extradition from my home country?
2) If I apply for the schengen visa, will this arrest for assault impact my visa application?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.Was it common assault please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sexual assuault
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
1) You need to call or get your Solicitor to call the Police and find out the status2) Just because someone calls does not restart the enquiry3) Unless you have been charged and convicted then no. Clearly you have done so it does not effect you.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex