Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I'm looking advice regarding a previous girlfriend

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding a previous girlfriend /partner (3.5 years ago) and some issues around finances and some threatening behavior - I did type a longer version but the page failed to load!
Thanks -
Andy
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. I can see some of the information, here can you confirm exactly what your query is? Is your partner threatening you for money?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes - did you get the attached additional information I included on the "what have you done so far" part of the form?Thanks Alex!Andy
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. I did - I saw you have been paying here monthly and she has obtained finance for a new car. Is she asking for more money now the debts are repaid? Is she insisting you pay for the car? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The problem is the car she took out in finance together in 2012 (end of) the contract has 22 months left to run. She has the car and finance in her name, I've driven it twice in total, but have been paying 200 pounds a month since then out of moral responsibility.I had offered to take the car or suggest she sold it but those options were rejected.I gave her 9 months notice it was time I stopped subsiding her car - it didn't go down well so she threatened me with paying up "or else" and threatened to contact my wife to try and force me in to writing a cheque.I rejected that despite the fear of her threats, and she did send the message eventually anyway (it's not caused problems at home).She contacted me yesterday to say she had "sold on the debt" which I'm aware there isn't any formal debt (having put over 10k in her account in this time and I'm in no agreements) but the call was threatening and given her background, my wife and I are concerned / worried she will be trying to escalate the level of threat she is using.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. Essentially you are not legally responsible for a liability where you are not named in writing on it and have not accepted responsibility in writing. Presumably you agreed to pay for the car on an informal basis and therefore have no contractual obligation to keep paying it. If you just stopped the car would be repossessed and if your name is ***** ***** the finance agreement, it wont affect your credit score. I would also note you can point out to your ex partner that it is a criminal offence to pursue someone for a debt so as to cause harassment S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 - if things get really bad I would keep a record of what she does, and tell her if she does not stop chasing you, you reserve the right to go to the police. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks - that's nearly it!Any agreement was informal and probably in text / email saying I would pay, but no signed document / agreement was ever put in place.The car & finance is all in her name and any joint formal agreements have long been settled,Thanks for the advice
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.
Hi, Thank you. ***** assist any further? I would be most grateful if you would rate my answer. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you - I'll will rate the answer and have a good day!
Expert:  Alex J. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you very much - can I assist you any further? Kind regards AJ
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience: Solicitors 2 years plus PQE