Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Our Bowls Club secured a lottery grant and built a Clubhouse

Customer Question

Our Bowls Club secured a lottery grant and built a Clubhouse on land leased to us by, what was then, I.C.I. Fibres. This land together, with several surrounding acres, was sold to a building company in 2014. I understand that, to comply with regulations, we should have been given the Right of First Refusal to purchase the freehold on which we occupy.
Please advise
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The Right of First Refusal as you have described it tends to apply to residential flats and leasehold properties and what would be described as qualifying tenants. Are there any other leases on the property? What type of lease did you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Club obtained a fifty year lease of the ground and the adjoining car park occupies. There are no other leases held by the Club.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Does the lease describe any restriction on the use of the property? Does it state it must be used as a bowls club? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will examine the Lease and advise.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have trawled through our Lease and was unable to find any reference as to the use of our premises only dozens of restrictions such as the premises are not to provide sleeping accomadion nor be used for any dangerous,noisy or offensive trade, business or manufacture of illegal or immoral acts or purposes. Also for not to be in competition with the Woodlawns Country Club on the estate effectively the owners employers sports and social club.
As this matter is not clear cut and the fact that there have been three previous landlords possibly as a result of a merger or a takeover I suggest we end this inquiry with thanks for your time and attention.
A. J. Barkus