29905560

I run a logistics company and we have many subcontractors that

I run a logistics company and we have many subcontractors that work for us.
Instead of having paper contracts, we would like to convert everything to e-contracts which can be signed online via the contractor before the commencement of providing services.
my question is would this carry the same legal weight as an actual paper contract and hold up in a court of law should any legal proceedings be started against us for example county court claims etc?
Please note that these contracts are for self-employed contractors and not directly employed employees.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How would they sign them online?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben,Through an electronic document software, something like docusign etc
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Online contracts can be just as legally binding as paper contracts signed in person. In fact, no contract is needed in any form for there to be a legally binding agreement between you and these contractors. You could have the exact same rights through a verbal contract as you may have from a paper one or an online one. What matters is what terms were agreed and negotiated between you and them, on which you then relied to commence your formal relationship. So whether it is an online contract or a paper one, your rights can be identical as long as it is clear that these are the terms which you and the contractors had agreed. If there is an online signature that would certainly imply that they had agreed to them and legally there is no requirement for the contract to be on paper or for the signature to be done in person. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ben, that has helped me out. I thought as much from research but it's best to leave the professional stuff to the suits! Have a good evening
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best