29905560

I am a director of a limited company which has been sent a

Customer Question

I am a director of a limited company which has been sent a letter about arrears with a supplier. However this letter was not sent to our registered office. Instead somehow they tracked down that I did part time work for another company. They then disclosed information over the phone about my company and the fact that they were going to take legal action. They then sent a copy of their letter to the assistant of the firm I work for. As you can imagine this was a very awkward situation. I believe this information should never have been disclosed. I also do not know how they tracked down the company I work for. Can you please advise what my legal rights are to privacy in this situation both personally and company wise and whether there has been a breach?
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide me.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What do you think the alleged breach is - sharing their intention to make a claim?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi BenMany thanks for your assistance this evening.Predominantly sharing the intention to make a claim. I am an accountant and work in that capacity for the firm this letter was disclosed to. The supplier taking action is IRIS software a provider of accounting software to accountany firms, whose customers are always firms of accountants.Therefore the disclosure of this information is not only highly embarrassing and unprofessional but could have jeopardised my position with my client.
Whilst I completely understand the effect this has had on you and the potential repercussions, what has happened is not actually illegal. Sharing or publicising an intention to make a claim, or even the fact that a claim has been made is not unlawful. It is a factual statement and there is no legal requirement on the other party to keep that confidential. In fact a court claim is a matter of public record so it would not be a confidential matter. The courts will have a duty to keep the information about the claim confidential to a degree but that does not extend to the other party. They can discuss the intention to claim as long as they do not disclose personal information about you in the process, such as your personal details, e.g. address or other similar data. So this is really an argument on moral grounds rather than legal ones – morally they should have refrained from making such statement, but legally it is not actually forbidden. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.