29905560

I bought a vehicle new in sept 2014 with a 3 year guarantee.

Customer Question

i bought a vehicle new in sept 2014 with a 3 year guarantee. this week it will be returned to the maindealer for the 4th time to fix the same fault. yesterday i discovered that this fault has been known for some time, but at the time of purchase I was not aware of it, and i was not informed by the seller that there was a problem. the manufacturers have no solution, and have suggested i try a petrol (mine is diesel) version. WHY are they still producing vehicles with faults? What can I do? Thank you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping to achieve?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
a permanent fix, or some redress for the supply of faulty goods
When a person buys a vehicle from a dealer they will have certain rights under consumer laws. This is in addition to any contractual rights you have against the manufacturer under a warranty. First of all, the following business practices are deemed unfair if they prompted you to make a decision to buy the car in question:· Giving false information about the vehicle or deceiving the buyer through false advertising· Giving insufficient information to the buyer, for example leaving out important information about issues with the car Failure to adhere to these rules will be unlawful and may even amount to a criminal offence so if you believe that the dealer acted in contravention of these rules you can bring this up with them when you contact them about this. Your other rights state that when you buy an item from a business seller it must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and match its description. If the car does not satisfy any of these, the dealer will be responsible. They will only be liable for faults that were present at the time the vehicle was sold, even if they become apparent later on. However, they will not be liable for fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage or any issues that were brought to the buyer’s attention before the sale. If the vehicle does not meet the above requirements, the buyer can reject the vehicle and return it to the dealer requesting a refund. However, this will need to be done within the first month after purchase. If the buyer is too late to reject the vehicle, they could instead request that it is repaired or replaced without causing them significant inconvenience. The dealer may only reject a repair or replacement if it is impossible or disproportionate in the circumstances. If that happens, you are entitled to get it repaired elsewhere and claim back the repair costs, although there is an obvious risk in doing so as there is no guarantee in getting any of the money back. If the dealer refuses to resolve this issue or accept any liability, you could take legal action against them. However, before going down that route you should try and resolve the issue directly with them by sending them a formal letter specifying how you want this matter resolved and giving them 7 days to respond. Advise them that if they fail to get back to you or deal with this in a satisfactory manner, you will have no other option but to report them to Trading Standards and issue legal proceedings to seek compensation. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you can follow should they refuse to cooperate and you need to take the matter further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
My response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? Remember I have further details about how to take this matter further so if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page, then I can continue helping. Thank you