Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am in the final stages of a divorce and I have arranged

Hello. I am in the final stages of a divorce and I have arranged a litigation loan to cover my expenses. A stipulation of the loan is that I get independent legal advice regarding the nature of the loan and I was advised by my family law solicitor to contact a local solicitor and arrange a meeting. However, I have now contacted 7 solicitors firms all with varying degrees of areas of expertise and none of them are able to do this. I am in West London and the loan company requires a letter from a solicitor to say I fully understand the implications of this loan… which I believe I do understand. I also understand that a fee will be applicable for this service. Can anyone advise me? Kind Regards Mani
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Is your family law solicitor not able to consider the loan and advise you? What type of solicitor have you approached so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A stipulation of the loan is that a solicitor that is not my family law solicitor needs to make me aware of the loan conditions as the recipient of the loan will be my family law solicitor. I have spoken to firms that deal in family law who have said they are not able to help me and I have also spoken to solicitors that do not deal in family law who have said as this is a divorce case they cannot help me. As I mentioned I am aware of the loan conditions already but I just need a solicitor to confirm that I am aware. The loan document is not that large, a few pages only and I even think that this could be done via email. The loan company requires a letter from my solicitor independent from the Family Law solicitor to confirm that they have corresponded with me. Thanks Mani
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I would imagine that you just need a general letter from a solicitor confirming that they have been through the loan agreement with you and that you understand the terms - and you should sign the letter, and have them counter-sign it in your presence. You do not need to tell them that it is a family issue, just that you need advice regarding a loan agreement.I would imagine a general civil litigation solicitor will be able to assist you with this.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you