12826847

I have been charged with 4 cases of beating. The incidents

Customer Question

Hi, I have been charged with 4 cases of beating. The incidents were all reported at the same time but spread over about 6 weeks. There was no striking, but I did bruise my girlfriends wrist in one of the altercations when I escorted her from our house. I am currently on bail but been made aware from the police officer tending to the case that my girlfriend has dropped the charges but it's now in the hands of CPS. My Crown Court date is in a couple of weeks, please could you give me an idea of what sentencing I could expect? I admitted these arguments took place when I was being questioned but my version of events are slightly different to my girlfriends.
Thanks in advance
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
Why did you admit this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I didn't admit to my girlfriends version of events, I corrected them. I simply thought honestly would be the best policy but have since realised saying nothing it would've been better for me.
Any advice would be great as I don't qualify for Legal Aid but cannot afford a solicitor.
Would you know what I should be expecting to be sentenced?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
What have you already admitted? Honesty is never the best policy. At least, you cannot lie but a no comment interview would have been the right thing to do here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.I didn't quite admit to anything but explained how (in brief)-1- During an argument that my girlfriend started I asked my her to leave the house to try and stop the argument to which she did. She went to my sisters for a couple of hours and then returned. (My girlfriend was around 36 months pregnant at this time).2- During an argument I again asked my girlfriend to leave our house to try and calm the situation. I felt she should leave as she started the argument, in hindsight it would've been easier for me to leave. When my girlfriend went to go upstairs I grabbed her by the wrist, opened the front door and lead her outside. She was only there for around 10 seconds before I opened the door for her to come back in. This situation left my girlfriend with a bruise on her wrist. (My girlfriend was around 37 weeks pregnant at this time)3- During an argument my girlfriend started I told her I was spending the night at my parents (thought me leaving for the night would be a better way to stop the arguing). When I tried to get into my wardrobe to get some clothes she stood in front of it trying to stop me. The only contact was me trying to hold her flailing arms down.4- During an argument my girlfriend started in the early hours of the morning I again tried to leave to spend the night at my parents but the arguing continued, I then hit a moses basket over the back of our sofa while my girlfriend sat on it holding our 10 week old child. The basket never hit anyone and there was no contact made to anyone. After this my girlfriend and I talked for an hour or so and went to bed.Two days after this argument my girlfriend reported all of the above to the police. Since explaining the above I have been charged with four counts of beating and I am due in court next week.
I am currently on bail from going to my house and also from seeing my girlfriend. I have been informed by the officer dealing with the case that my girlfriend "only wanted the arguing to stop" and also "didn't expect all of this to happen". She has also said she'd like to work at our relationship possibly with the assistance of couples counselling.
Last week I privately chose to book onto a one-on-one anger management course which I start on Monday.My girlfriend dropped all charges before I was charged but simply puts it in the hands of the CPS.As mentioned in my previous message, I do not qualify for legal aid but do not have the money for a solicitor.Any help on what I can do/expect next week would be great. Also if you could give me any idea of what sentence I could expect that would be helpful.Thanks again.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, is there any chance you could let me know about the above as my hearing is this week?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
thank you. So in short, you have admitted laying hands on your girlfriend?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As above.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
On the face of it, you have admitted the offences.This should have been a no comment interview I'm afraid.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
Had you done so it would have been a problem for them that she is not willing. Now it really doesn't matter as you have admitted the offences.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
What you received depends on a number of factors. This isn't the worst assault but they are repeated and she was pregnant and the court isn't going to like that much.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
It will probably be a community order of some form or another unless you have horrendous previous but they could impose a restraining order unless she refuses one.Also, social services might well be informed of a child protection risk.Sorry if that is bad newsCan I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any advice for the hearing would be great as I don't have a lawyer.
Thanks agian
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 months ago.
The duty solicitor would probably cover it for you if you haven't had contact with any other solicitor.For the future, never refuse the solicitor the police offer you and never admit offences at the police station. Silence is golden when you have no defence.