Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My self and my son were recently bared from our local football

My self and my son were recently bared from our local football club based on a statement of events given by a member of staff,the said member of staff also admitted using foul language to both my son and myself with no action being taken i feel we have been treated unfairly because of personality issues.I requested a copy of the statement and this was refused. The president of the club has also been reported on more than one occasion for using foul language towards female members of staff with no action taken.Is this a case of discrimination?.
yours
Graham
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Is your son a player at the local club or are you spectators?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are both social members of the club and also spectators
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
on what grounds have they barred you and are you saying you believe you have been discriminated against because you have been barred and the president of the club has had no action taken against him for using bad language?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason given is rather vague other than unacceptable conduct
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok are you saying you believe you have been discriminated against because you have been barred and the president of the club has had no action taken against him for using bad language?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i believe both the president and the member of staff should be treated in the same manner as myself and my son when there conduct has been of a simular nature
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
have you put in a formal complaint?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not as yet i need to know if we have indeed been discriminated against
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately this does not amount to discrimination at law. In order for it to be discrimination in the legal sense it needs to be a difference in treatment on the basis of your race, religion, age, sex or disability. It does not appear that any of these apply to the situation. This does not mean that you cannot complain. You should ask to see a copy of the Club's constitution and ask on what basis they are able to bar you from the club but not take action against the president of the club for similar conduct. If they cannot demonstrate that this is possible under their constitution then you may be able to bring a contract claim against them as members. At this stage without seeing the rules of the club (constitution) it is not possible to say so you need to get this information from them before determining what action, if any, you can take. If you have any further questions please ask. Please do take the time to rate my answer and don't worry this will not prevent you from asking further questions in the future. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please advise on the content of the formal complaint and can i insist on a copy of the statement
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi you have the right to know what the complaint was against you that led to you being barred. I would suggest that you just write a letter to state that you are extremely unhappy that the decision has been made and that you want to see the statement that was made (and have the right to see it under the Data Protection Act) and that you want to see a copy of the club's constitution and rules which has allowed them to bar you and not take action against the Club president for a similar issue.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know as I note you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?