Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

Years I have flown flags of many nations. Two flags

Customer Question

For many years I have flown flags of many nations. Two flags recently have caused complaints to the council. The old South African Flag and the Flag of Zimbabwe / Rhodesia as it was Known when Smith & Muzorewa were at the helm. I have just received a note from the council saying it was illegal to fly flags of countries that do not exist. Two Questions... (a) Under the Freedom of information Act am I
entitled to know who complained...
(b) Is it in fact illegal to to fly old flags, such as the
the US confederate flag. An answer would be much
appreciated/ Many Thanks.
Desmond Morrogh-Bernard. email:-***@******.***
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
The council are taking a strange view.The legislation says that you can fly the flag of any country. It does not , as far as I can see, specify that the country must still be in existence or in the same form as it was. I would ask for any specific authority they have on this pointFlags that are not authorised under the general exemption that allows the flags of countries, club flags and various other types require the permission of the local authority to fly them.I hope this helps if there are any further points please reply and I will respond.Best wishesMichael