Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

We have a nieghbour behind us who has run a nursery for

Customer Question

hi we have a nieghbour behind us who has run a nursery for approx 3 yrs now for which we where not consulted as we are behind them but we are the only one affected by this now they have applied for permission to put another portacabin on top of the one they have making it 5 mtrs high blocking out our right to light & generally being unsightly not to mention the extra noise we have to put up with, its like living on a holiday park with the noise resonating through the pipes, my question is do we have any chance of opposing the plans, many thanks.
***** *****.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can, based on the factors you have mentioned. You might also find you arte not alone in being concerned about the expansion of the nursery. Noise travels a long way. What will the effect of more cars as more children are delivered and collected, where will they park, will it create a dangerous situation, will they affect traffic for local residents trying to go about their business. Check to see how many nurseries are in the area you may be able to argue that there is no need for an expanded nursery in this location. Knock on a few neighbours doors see if they are concerned and if they are willing to sign a letter of opposition.I hope this helps if there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.Best wishesMichael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOT REALLY ANSWERED MY QUESTION AS YOU ARE A SOLICITOR IM ASKING WHAT LEGAL ROUTE I CAN TAKE ( SHOULD HAVE MADE THAT CLEAR) AS WHAT YOU HAVE SAID I ALREADY KNEW AND I HAVE ASKED OUR NIEGHBOURS WHO ARE NOT HAPPY BUT THATS ONLY 3 OF US I AM THE ONLY ONE DIRECTLY AFFECTED AS IT WILL BE WITHIN 5 FT OF MY FENCE & 5 METERS HIGH WHAT AN EYESORE, GREY 5 METER X 10 METER GREY BOX WITH BRIGHT RED DOORS THEY ORIGINALLY APPLIED FOR THE FIRST PORTACABIN AND THE PLANS SAID 10 FT FROM MY FENCE AND THE COUNCIL SAID IT WAS ONLY A GUIDE. THANKS
In UK law there is no right to a view or against being overlooked. This is a product of being on a small island. However there is a right to light and it depends on the amount of light you are being deprived of depending on a complicated formula. A surveyor is the best person to help.Michael