Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

My father has 84 years old and has dementia he has speach problems

Customer Question

My father has 84 years old and has dementia he has speach problems amongst other self caring issues and has career coming in 3 times for self care.his wife is fed up with it all who lives with him with a young iligitamate daughter ,she now wants to put him in a care home and my father dosnt want to go what is the law to protect my father to stay in his own home can he be forced if he can say no.?
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.
He cannot be forced to go into a care home unless it is recommended by those responsible for caring for him, social workers, carers, doctor that it is not feasible to continue to care for him at his home as his needs are such that he needs to be in an environment where care can be given as and when required at anytime of the day.The opinion of his wife will be taken into consideration but his desire to stay in his own home much more so. The relevant law, the Care Act 2014, makes it clear that the overriding principle is the well being of the individual being cared for and that obviously includes his desire to stay in his own home.I hope this helps, if there are any further points please respond and I will reply furtherBest wishesMichael