31090051

My husband died on 15 March 2016. He had an annuity with Friends

My husband died on 15 March 2016. He had an annuity with Friends Life (previously AXA and Sun Life) paid annually on 1 Dec in arrears. They are informing me that no payment is due for period 2nd Dec 2015 to date of death 15/3/2016 as they do not make proportional payments. I have contacted them but they refuse to discuss why. I do not have the original policy which was taken out in 1985 and taken in 1992.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
An annuity is a contractual arrangement. Write to Friends Life and ask them for the contractual basis upon which they say they don't have to pay the annuity until the date of death. If you don't have any luck with that then report them to the Financial Ombudsman by putting in a formal complaint. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant response and absolutely timely - I will contact Friends Life as you suggest and advise them if I don't get a prompt response I will contact the Financial Ombudsman and "threaten them with the Money Mail" advice column! With grateful thanks for your help at such a difficult time.