13262538

I am currently in the process of separating from my ex-partner

Customer Question

I am currently in the process of separating from my ex-partner who I have been living with for the past ten years. I am about to purchase and move into my own property and I am selling my share of our shared property to my ex-partner's daughter at the same time, but until that completes the mortgage on our current property is solely in my name although my ex owns about 45% of the flat.
Several years ago I took out a secured loan for debt consolidation which has long since been paid off, and I took out PPI accordingly. My ex-partner's name was on the loan along with my name as it was secured against our shared property. The loan company contacted us recently out of the blue and provided a refund of the PPI, which worked out at about £8,000.00 including interest, and my ex had to co-sign the paperwork to claim this repayment.
All the payments on the loan and the associated PPI were made by me as the purpose of the loan was to consolidate my own debts, so accordingly my ex didn't pay a penny towards this.
Now she is asking me to give her half of the repayment as her name was on the loan as well as mine, but as the repayment is for money that I had paid out and to which she made no contribution I would like to know if she has a legal right to claim this, please?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Nicola,I'm happy to wait a little longer.Regards,Nick
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Nicola,Please continue.Regards,Nick
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please continue.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.I am afraid that legally if the debt was in joint names then the PPI repayment belong sto both of you.However you are entitled to claim credit for the payments you made of "her" share of the loan which should balance it out.So tel her she can have her half but that you will deduct the monies you paid for her!Please ask if you need further details