How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a paternal grandmother and i would like to know what my

Customer Question

i am a paternal grandmother and i would like to know what my rights are. i would like something legally binding on visitation rights for myself and the extended family. the mother says we can see the children but she never sticks to it, is constantly late unless it is for her benefit in delivering the children, (it can be 3-6hrs waiting time) plus the same pattern when she collects the children. the relationship with my son and his children she blocks and adds restrictions. And for the last month i have had the children 24/7 with little or no input from either parent. basically both parents abandoned them. the children were settled and happy and they began to enjoy learning and living. because at the weekend the visitation with my son was not to her liking (control issues, my son was not doing as he was told). she caused an awful lot of drama, involved her sister who told me to detach myself from the children because i was not welcome because i was not supporting her sister. and her sister and the children did not need me in their lives and now the kids are not with me, their uniforms are with me and she text me at 9pm asking me what she should do, i said "that is for u and yoursister to work out. u should have sorted that this morning. they know because of the children i will take them back and we will go through the whole cycle again, this is what i want to stop, plus she can disappear with the kids at anytime and that would cause me alot of anxiety. this is why i would like something set up so she and her family are legally bound to hand the kids over and i am allowed to take the children on holiday and visit family abroad.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further details firstHow old are the children and could you explain a little about the relationship between the parents
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the children are 5 and 7, the parents have had a relationship for 9yrs and started to breakdown once the children were born, neither parent takes self responsibility for the children. and are equally selfabsorbed and play the poor me card. 7yr old could not read or write and told me he plays playstation all day. he would like to join a football team but neither parent will take him and the parents say it is the others fault and the child suffers. this weekend each parent was meant to have the children overnight but both could only manage 2hrs before they phoned me to collect. the mother claims 9yrs of domestic violence but the police and myself both said. why leave it so long. 2 weeks ago she and her mother told me what a brilliant dad he was and they could not fault him on that. and this saturday she said he was a violent bully who abused her and the children mentally and physically who should not and does not deserve to see his children and then to tonight she is saying how he deserves to see the children and how she would not stop him from seeing them, but on saturday she caused the drama because he wanted to take the children to his flat and friday she agreed and saturday afternoon she changed her mind. my son has had enough and does not know what to do . he mentioned joint custody and she went ballistic . my son has chronic kidney failure and is dying, he is refusing a kidney transplant and dyalsis, he has about 1yr to live,
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
So the parents are separated and live apart?Have the school raised any concerns about their care when they are not with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no but i think they have noticed the difference that the children are there on time collected on time and they do their homework. zeeko can now write and read and is very enthusiastic, he was looking forward to coming home to me and practising for his satts test. yes it has been on and off now for the last year and progrssively got worse over the last 2months which prompted me to take the children
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Will your son support you in any application?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i imagine so, only because he said he wanted joint custody and he did not want anymore contact with her and would prefer it through the court. but it all depends on what mood he is in, like the mother he is inconsistent and unreliable
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Just to check - is the father name don the birth certificate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is on the sons 7yr old not on the daughters 5yr old
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Is there any doubt that he is the father of the 5 year old?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not at the moment no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r u still there clair
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
My apologies for the delay.What ocntact arrangement do you wish to establish?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I meant what contact pattern do you want with the children?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry clare my computer keeps breaking down, contact pattern, i dont mind coming to a schedule with the parents, but at the moment if they kept to the agreement was ; i have the children sunday/ monday take them to school friday then collected after school by parents. with sundays alternate btween both families, and for me to have input during aftr school hours from parents and other family members from both families. school holidays, to have access to away breaks, adventure holidays and holidays abroad. but it is only me complying and i would be unable to take the kids on full time, it would be to much for me, i have enjoyed and managed the last month and would have been wonderful if i had help. i hope that answers your question. if u dont hear from for a while . it is because the computer keeps switching off and doing wierd things. thanks clare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am having to shut the computer down, so send me an email when you are finished thanks***@******.*** i will be able to retrieve it from there.

Related Law Questions