Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Yesterday a person described me as being "vindictive" to my

Yesterday a person described me as being "vindictive" to my neighbour.
They have apparently identified me as being the person who is most likely to disrupt their plans for gaining planning permission to build a house in a preservation area. There is no evidence to support this label.
I would like to know if I am able to send them a Solicitors letter asking them to refrain from making any further slanderous comments and make them aware of the possible consequences if they continue to do so? I am an upstanding member of the community who works within the local community as a special police constable and I am concermed they will damage my reputation.
I live in East Somerset and would also appreciate any recommendation for Solicitor firms that could assist me?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Do you know if they have only said this to one person?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They definitely said it to one neighbour and possible in front of his wife, but I would need to check this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*possibly
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hi in order for the statement to meet the legal definition of slander it would need to be 'made to the public' which would mean to several people not just one. The statement must also be untruthfully and have the impact of making 'right minded individuals' hate or ridicule the person about whom the statement is made.If you believe that a person is making slanderous statements then an appropriate response would be to have a solicitors letter sent stating that you believe that this amounts to slander and that if you suffer a financial loss as a result.Owing to the terms and conditions of this website I am not allowed to make recommendations of firms of solicitors. But any high street firm with litigation experience should be able to assist. http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ Will be a good starting point for you. Good luck. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny,
Thank you for your prompt response and for the information. I may just write to them personally and let them know that I find their comments unacceptable and make them aware that any further comments in public could result in them facing unfavourable consequences.Many Thanks,
Lara
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
To be honest at this stage that might be the more appropriate response. If they do make further vindictive statements you can then escalate matters if you need to. please do let me know if there is anything further you would like to know. I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise paid for the time I have spent working on your question. Thank you and all the best.