Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We have unregistered land behind our property which a farmer

We have unregistered land behind our property which a farmer occasionally takes hay from and says he is the tenant. He is not forthcoming in providing us with the details of the owner. How do I go about finding out if he has a legal tenancy, and who the owner is? Thank you, Hilary.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thanks for your enquiry.I am afraid to say that if the property is unregistered, there will be no public record available to see who either owns the land or if any Tenancy has been granted.The Deeds to the property will be in the possession of the owner (or the Bank if there is a Mortgage over it) and neither the Land Registry or any other public body will hold copies of the Deeds.Therefore, I'm afraid there will be no way of you finding out who the owner is and if there is a Tenancy over it, unless you can locate the owner directly and he is prepared to divulge the information to you.I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that Al. I am less worried about finding out the details of the Tenancy, but contacting the owner as we are keen to buy a small part adjoining our property. I wonder if you can suggest what sort of person to employ to do the research to try and find details of ownership?
Hi,Word of mouth has to be the first option. Then speak to the Council to see if they have any records.If all else fails, you would need to consider using a tracing agent, such as-http://www.1stlocate.co.uk/unregistered_land.php I hope this assists. Kind RegardsAl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this. I shall try all of the above!