29905560

I HAD A ESTIMATE TO REBUILD MY CARS ENGINE OF £1800.00 I INSTRUCTED

Customer Question

I HAD A ESTIMATE TO REBUILD MY CARS ENGINE OF £1800.00 I INSTRUCTED THE GARAGE TO REBUILD THE ENGINE ON MY VEHICLE AFTER ABOUT FOURTEEN DAYS THEY INFORMED ME THAT THE ENGINE WAS BEYOND REPAIR AND I WOULD NEED A DONOR ENGINE, THIS WAS ON MARCH 16TH THE GARAGE STATED THEY WOULD LOOK FOR A DONOR ENGINE, I ASKED THEM TO KEEP ME UPDATED, I HEARD NOTHING SO ON THE 14TH OF APRIL ASKED FOR AN UPDATE, I WAS INFORMED THAT THE DONOR ENGINE AND INSTALLATION COSTS WOULD BE £3000.00 I AGREED TO THIS AND REQUESTED THAT AN INVOICE FOR THAT AMOUNT WITH A STATEMENT THAT THAT WOULD BE THE MAXIMUM COST, THE GARAGE AGREED, BUT THE INVOICE STATED THAT WAS THE COST OF SUPPLYING AND INSTALLING THE ENGINE PLUS ANCILLERIE COSTS, EG STATER MOTOR, ALTERNATOR, POWER STEERING ETC, BUT COULD NOT CONFIRM COSTS, I STATED THAT I COULD NOT CONTINUE WITH THE WORKS WITHOUT A FIRM QUOTE AND ASKED HOW MUCH I OWED THEM UP TO THIS POINT, I WAS INFORMED MY COSTS TO DATE WAS £700.00 SO I ASKED FOR AN INVOICE FOR THAT AMOUNT AND THE ADDRESS TO COLLECT THE VEHICLE. I WAS THEN INFORMED MY BILL WOULD BE £700 FOR STRIPPING OUT ENGINE,RECOVERY ETC AND ANOTHER £800.00 FOR STORAGE OF THE VEHICLE. I WAS NEVER INFORMED OF ANY STORAGE COSTS AND HAVE SIGNED NOTHING. CAN THIS GARAGE DO THIS ? I FEEL I AM BEING CONNED. PLEASE ADVISE
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Are you only disputing the storage costs?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you have any information for me ???
Leave it with me please I will get my answer ready and post back on here this afternoon thanks
Thanks for your patience. as this is a business dealing with a consumer (you), they will be subject to certain rules and regulations under consumer laws. In particular they should act fairly and reasonably and should not have hidden or obscure charges and need to be upfront with any fees they are looking at charging. If you gave them the engine on good faith and on the assumption that there are no storage charges because nothing of the sort was mentioned, assuming this was never brought up, then it would generally be considered unfair and unreasonable to claim such costs. Whilst it is certainly possible for a garage to charge customers for storage, this should have been brought to the customer’s attention at the outset so that they were properly informed about what charges they would be incurring the longer they leave the vehicle with them. Many garages do not charge storage fees if they are undertaking work on a vehicle – they have the space there for use and it is part of the service costs to have the car there. Others may have dedicated storage costs but these should be clear from the outset and the customer should have the option to decide whether they want to have such charges incurred. On this basis you can dispute these charges. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have if they do not release the vehicle if you do not pay the storage costs, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
NO THANKYOU
ok no problem, can you please leave your rating so we can close this query, thank you