12826847

My friend has used my car to drive and has crashed into a parked

My friend has used my car to drive and has crashed into a parked car over a year ago and I've been written to by some people on behalf of the parked guys car insurance and they want to take a statement from me regarding the issue, what is the best way to go around this and what are the reprocutions? do the reprocutions go higher if he was permitted/not permitted by me to drive and I would like to include he wasn't insured and doesnt have a full licence aswell
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Hello did you permit him to drive the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I let him sit in but didn't tell him to drive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But he is saying that I did permit him so if it was to go as far as the courts how serious will the offence be
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did he have keys?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did but was only given to turn the heating on
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you report the vehicle stolen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I was in the car when it happened
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He literally started the ignition and then took off
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It is quite unlikely they are going to accept that he wasn’t permitted to drive I’m afraid. He had keys and you didn’t report it stolen or taken without consent. You can only tell the truth in a statement to an insurance company anyway so the only thing that really matters is the truth. I would imagine they will probably take the view that you are liable though on these facts. You can contest it if you say you did not permit him to drive. They may pursue the actual driver and ask that you are a witness though. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes is likely to be a driving ban because I'm still within my 2years
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
This is an insurance company. They are not the police. They are not interviewing you with regard to a prosecution.They are interviewing you with regard to liability.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it's something where I would have to most probably pay the insurance company rather than get my licence revoked or taken away?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, exactly.They could make a report to the police but they do not prosecute themselves.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do cases such as mine generally get as far as they report it to the police? I just wanna be fully prepared for the worst sorry for all the questions
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
It could come to the attention of the police but the insurance company don't really have an interest in reporting this. It doesn't improve upon their position if you are prosecuted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thankyou