Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I agreed a Consent order in 2005 regarding a divorce, whereby

I agreed a Consent order in 2005 regarding a divorce, whereby my ex wife (of 26 years) would have 100% of the marital assets, in a full and final divorce, on the basis that I was a high wage earner. Her mother died before the Consent Order and the potential inheritance at the time was not taken in to account. However papers have come to light that show that Probate was applied for and granted, and denied by her and her lawyers at the time, before the signing of the Consent Order. Her inheritance was in excess of �200,000. The recession and subsequent bankruptcy meant I never again fulfilled my professional potential. My question is - can the Consent Order be revisited in the knowledge that information was deliberately withheld at the time of the Divorce?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. If it can be shown that she had deliberately misled you and the court, and that assets were not disclosed then this could be grounds for you to apply for the court to revisit the making of the consent order. As part of such an application you would need to demonstrate that at that time, if disclosure was made of her inheritance that it would have materially impacted the agreement or court decision. Given the potential complexity of this issue I would highly suggest that you have all the documents you have mentioned proving that there was misrepresentation and employ the services of a family law solicitor who specialises in financial relief matters - you can find them here: http://www.resolution.org.uk/findamember/ If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you