13262538

I was divorced in 1995 with a clean break my ex went to my

I was divorced in 1995 with a clean break my ex went to my Mothers house in 2011 trying to find me to sign a 'life policy'. He wanted my signature to get the monies. I signed a deed of assignment from Aviva asked what it was and he said oh a life policy that had matured he couldn't get the money without my signature. obviously joint names. he had been trying for some time and had been to a solicitor who had said try to find me. I had remarried so I signed my new name. He turned up last year and said he still hadn't got the money - not my problem!. He rang last Monday and said he had gone to a solicitor and I would be getting a letter which I have had asking me for a copy of my marriage licence, bank or utility bill and driving licence and to sign a payment release form. I rang the solicitor and said I was not prepared to sign anything if my ex had continued to pay from 1997 after the financial clean break settlement that was his problem. I said I would send a copy of my now marriage certificate as this would show my old name which is obviously why he cant get the monies. The solicitor wasn't happy with this and couldn't see my problem. I am now very worried. Can I refuse to sign any documents as a) was this legal to pay with my name on when I wasn't his wife b) I cant remember any life policy it must have been some sort of endowment c) what can I do if anything. can I forget about it and refuse to do anything else. sorry its long winded
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.
HiThank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstWas this Policy specifically dealt with in the Settlement?Has he offered you a share at all?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ive looked through all the paperwork I have from the divorce and I can see nothing about a policy. We both put on an affidavit what we held and I can see our Sun Life Policies which we had individual. I cashed mine in about 1995. I can see on his affidavit an endowment but it doesn't say what it is. It wasn't questioned as far as I can see or remember and we had a repayment mortgage so it cant be to do with that. I made a joke at the time and said what was my signature worth. he just laughed
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for that.In terms of your questionsa. Yes it was legal - foolish but legal!b. You may well be right!c. You do not have to do anything at present.There is no Court Order saying that the policy has to be assigned to him so you are not in breach.Indeed you have been kind enough to sign the paperwork - it is for him to satisfy the Company that you are you (if you see what I mean)What happens next is up to your ex - he can either offer you something for your assistance; do his own work to prove that you are you, or apply to the court for an order that the Company releases the money to himYou can simply ignore the matter and move on!Please ask if you need further detailsClare
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sent a copy of my marriage certificate and the unsigned payment release form yesterday and said that would be my side done with as it was a clean break basis divorce absolute, can I clarify that If his solicitor working on his behalf contacts me again I have the right to do nothing at all as I am not legally bound to do so. Sorry :)
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.
Yes that is correct
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thankyou very much you have put my mind at ease.