29905560

In the past I have lost a lot of money by joining fraudulent

In the past I have lost a lot of money by joining fraudulent holiday companies while on European holidays. Today I have been contacted by a firm of lawyers from Thailand who claim large amounts of money have been confiscated from bank accounts in Thailand along with much documentation from offices of people arrested and through this documentation are able to contact 1000"s of people like myself and they claim my refund would be 13,700 pounds but to get this money I have to pay a local tax of 10% 1370 pounds and then I will receive a cheque by currier within a week. I am told I have nothing to lose as if I paid by credit card if it did not happen I could get a credit card refund. Is this correct or do you think its another scam?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Do you have details of these lawyers please as well as email addresses used?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was contacted by phone 0066949325906 and the barristers name is ***** ***** Howard Smith
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Did they give you the name of the firm?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked for an email address and was told they had not got one because individual barristers were working with they own clients and no they did not give the name of the firm.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
It all sounds very fishy to me. A barrister with a Western name, working in Thailand for a firm which he cannot name, asking for payment in advance before you are able to get all that money due to you….I certainly would not fall for any of that. It certainly has the hallmarks of an advance fee fraud scam. The best way to spot these is by identifying specific 'red flags' that are often present in the build-up to the scam. The following are the most common ones and if they sound familiar then you can almost guarantee you are involved in a scam:{C}· Someone contacts you and promises you a large sum of money, sometimes resulting from previous losses. You are unlikely to have ever heard of or been involved with the persons/organizations concerned. It is tempting as you would want to recuperate past losses and this is a light at the end of the tunnel – this is exactly what they rely on{C}· Before you are able to receive the promised amount, you are asked to pay a sum of money for various reasons, usually as clearance fees, administrative costs, taxes, etc. This is the advance-fee part of the scam.{C}· Tempted by the potential return, you pay the money in good faith. Do not be fooled by the fact they say paying by credit card keeps you safe – there is no guarantee the credit card company will accept any claim, especially if it clear you acted negligently{C}· Once the money has been sent, the fraudster either stops all contact and the promised money never materializes, or they return and ask for further payments due to new unsuspected issues. DO NOT proceed any further with this. DO NOT send any information and certainly do not send money if asked to. Cease all contact with the other party and do not communicate any further with them. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you