29905560

I am employed by a Portuguese company who is struggling

I am employed by a Portuguese company who is struggling to pay debts and the owners don't reply to emails. What's the best stance as an employee to take as I am being chased by the suppliers for payment and I raise internally but no answer and looks suspicious
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you employed under UK law?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a contractor based in uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The owner is based on India with office in Portugal and has a commercial director who is in uk but does answer phone or email
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked your contract to see which country's laws govern it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My contract was with uk and it was sold to this owner 6 weeks ago and no new contract
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
So what are you hoping to achieve - simply know how to deal with its customers? I presume you are being paid with no issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Next payment is due next week. How do I stand legally when I can't get answers from the business?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have followed instructions from the owner when he has been in contact
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
There is only so much you can do in the circumstances. You have no direct responsibility for the debts of the company and if suppliers are chasing you for payment then you simply have to tell them that you are awaiting further instructions from those in charge and will contact them as soon as possible, once you have heard back. It is obviously best not to ignore them or to give the false information . Whilst you do not have to tell them everything that is going on, you simply have to keep it down to basics and provide as little detail as possible at this stage. So do not tell the the company is in financial difficulty but simply state that there are currently delays with communication internally, that this is something outside of your control and that you are making all attempts to try and get the necessary instructions to deal with these queries. Is this what you were after?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes . I have passed on the info I receive ie payments due this week from the commercial director. He seems to have disappeared and the owner doesn't answer emails. You know when something doesn't sit right - got that feeling
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Yes it may indeed be building up to something. I thin the key here is not to reveal more than you should and just be courteous and deal with queries professionally. Keep chasing the relevant people in the meantime but legally you would not become responsible for any issues arising out of this - you were just doing your job in difficult circumstances I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you