How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2725
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

Wife and self divorced. Live in the marital home (UK) She

Resolved Question:

Wife and self divorced. Live in the marital home (UK) She abandoned and lives permanently with daughter in Rep Ireland
Tenancy vacated=tenancy in common. I want to rent our property and move out to smaller -Question do I have to have her signature or permission to rent for a short term ???
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are you in England or Wales?-When did you divorce and have either of you remarried-Was there a financial settlement, if so what was the settlement?-Whose name is ***** ***** in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
UK/England---not divorced;in progress-not remarried--no settlement yet divorce procedure just started---now is tenancy in common, originally joint proprietors
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for confirming. Legally, as it is her property as well she should be providing authority for you subletting the property despite her having abandoned you. If there is a mortgage on the property you will also likely require the mortgage company's consent if it is a residential mortgage before letting it out.If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you