F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

CAN THE BENEFICIARIES OF A GROUP LIFE SCHEME BE CHANGED AFTER

CAN THE BENEFICIARIES OF A GROUP LIFE SCHEME BE CHANGED AFTER THE DEATH OF AN EMPLOYEE
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
GThe employee nominates the beneficiary of the pension or group life proceeds. The employee is not able to change the beneficiary after their death but the beneficiary can do a deed of variation which directs the benefit to someone else and then, the benefit is treated as though it went to that person in the first place. It is exactly the same way that a beneficiary of a will can direct that a bequest to them goes to someone else and it’s then treated in the same way as someone else’s tax affairs and not in the same way as the beneficiaries tax affairs.Can I clarify anything for you?